Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chapter 2 and 3 Discussion Leader

My first questions comes from pages 50-53 when Kozol is talking about inner-city pre-K in New York City and how even though many of the children apply for pre-K; they are not accepted. Then a page or two over Kozol talks about how in Milwaukee the children are able to go to pre-K in a program called Head Start.
(1) My Question is if people know how important it is for children to go to pre-K , why doesn't the New York school system step up a Head Start program for inner-city children?
I think one of the reasons why NYC does not do this is because since there are so many inner-city children, the cost would be outrageous. I think some of the middle class and upper class who can afford to donate extra money to their children's schooling should have that money go towards the pre-K program for inner-city children. I know the parents are not going to want to do that, but I feel something needs to be done.
My second questions comes from page 65 when Kozol goes into the school P.S. 65 and there is a new rule that the children are to eat lunch in silence and if they misbehave, they will have to have a silent recess.
(2) I want to know what you guys think about the silent lunches and silent recess if a child misbehaves?
I think this is a stupid rule. I think part of learning to talk and also solve problems comes from talking with peers your own age. I work at the Children's Center here on campus and we tell the child when they get into a little argument with another child to try and talk it out and try to solve the problem between themselves before coming to a teacher. I feel that if the children are not able to talk during lunch how are the able to acquire these skills? I also do not think that the children should be punished with a silent recess if they misbehave. Children need to go outside, run around and use up their energy; it is good exercise for them.
My third question comes from page 66 when Kozol is talking about how there are several teachers teaching in the inner-city schools who just took a summer short-order preparation and have had no previous teaching training.
(3) I would like to know if this is even legal?
I am sure that this is legal, but is seems a little sketchy to me. How can someone teach children when they have had no previous experience and all they took was a summer course? People wonder why the child are not doing well in school. I think in order for these children to do well they need a teacher who actually has a teaching degree and knows what he/she is doing and talking about.
My final question comes from page 82 when Kozol talks about how the only way teachers are able to hang up art work or work of the children is if they fix the mistakes or spelling errors that the children made.
(4) I want to know if you think this is degrading the children?
I feel that this is not right at all. I know kids are going to make mistakes when spelling or doing an art project, but don't we expect that. They are not high school level spellers and we should not expect them to be, they are still learning. Also how would the children feel when they see their art work and realize that it was changed? Would they feel like they are not good enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment