Monday, May 9, 2011

Chapter 12 and Epilogue Discussion Leader

1. In this chapter, Kozol discusses the importance of teachers connecting with their students. He writes, “One thing [this purely economic explanation of the motives that bring thousands of unselfish men and women into public schools each year] lacks is any recognition of the role of altruistic and protective feelings, empathetic fascination, love of children, love of learning itself, with all the mysteries and miracles and all the moments of transcendence” (296). How important do you think it is for a teacher to embody these traits?

My first grade teacher’s name was Mrs. Kuebelbeck. I can still remember the song we learned that included all 50 states in alphabetical order, and I remember when we sang it to our parents at our first grade “graduation.” I also remember crying hysterically when I had to leave the first grade; I loved Mrs. Kuebelbeck… not because she taught me how to write my letters correctly or how to do subtraction, but because I knew she loved what she did and I knew that she loved me. I had to wear curlers in my hair to school for my dance recital that year (what was my mother thinking!?). I got made fun of for it, and I might have even cried in secret (or so I thought). Mrs. K called my mom who came to my school for lunch and brought along McDonald’s, which all three of us ate together out in our school’s garden. This is a teacher that I will remember forever because of how she taught me to love learning. So to finally answer my own question, I think these traits are essential to the success of a teacher.

2. Kozol quotes Congressman John Lewis: “Now segregation seems almost to be the order of the day. We don’t have many people who believe that integration’s even possible or worth attempting anymore, not in the government at least” (311). What are your thoughts on this statement?

Although it’s sad, I agree. I think that if something could was going to be done by the government, it would have been implemented by now. As for integration being “worth attempting,” I believe that it definitely is, and that more needs to be done on the political end to change these obvious tendencies.

3. Fern Cruz, the principal of P.S. 65 stresses the importance of child’s play. She states, “If they can’t play safely in the streets in their neighborhood, I want them to have a chance to play here at their school—and play in their school playground” (306)! How important do you think it is for a child to be able to “play?”

I don’t know how I would have survived elementary school without recess. I think it is necessary for kids to have the opportunity to get rid of all the energy they build up just sitting in their desks all day. It also allows them to focus more while in the classroom. I think it should be mandatory for elementary schools to give kids at least 30 minutes every day of recess time.

4. Kozol concludes the book with this quote from Roger Wilkins: “You cannot give up. We cannot give up. As a nation, as a people, I don’t think that we have any choice but to reject this acquiescence, to reject defeat” (317). Do you think this is an effective ending to Kozol’s book?

I think the overall goal of this book is to inspire people to take action against these appalling facts and statistics and to help the children in our country receive quality and equal education. It’s telling the reader to get up and do something about what you have just read, whether that be to inform your friends about what’s actually going on or to write a letter to your state representatives. I think this ending to Kozol’s book fits perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment